The differences between Coding and Programming
You have a killer idea for an App or software platform, and you want to get it built but where do you start? Software development requires a knowledge of the methods used, where they might be applied as well as an understanding of the skills that are needed to produce the end product.
It is unusual that the person with the idea has all of the knowledge and skills to produce it and to make it a reality he or she will turn to others to assist. This may be a collaborator that you join forces with, an external software development company or a freelance resource. They could be local or in many cases, in another country. No matter which path you choose it is helpful to have a basic knowledge of some of the fundamentals and in this article explains the differences between Coding and Programming.
“Coding” and “Programming” are the two most important approaches in software development and are often confused by the uninitiated, however, there are significant differences between the two.
Coding is the process of creating codes from one language to another one which involves writing codes in different languages. The main work of a coder is to translate the requirements into machine understandable language as machines (computers) only understands machine code. Coders need to have a comprehensive understanding of the project and they code as per instructed information. Coding is the initial step of developing a software programming.
Programming is the process of developing an executable machine level program which can be implemented without error and used to analyse, implement and produce the required machine level output. Programming enables human inputs and corresponding machine outputs to remain in sync. Programming also includes debugging, compiling, testing and implementation. Programmers visualise the different aspects of the communication and produce the correct machine outputs.
Differences between Coding and Programming
- Coding is the process of translating and writing codes from one language to another whereas Programming is the process of building an executable program which can be used to carry out proper machine level outputs.
- Coding only deals with the codes, whereas Programming is the creation of a program to control and interact with the machine to produce proper results.
- Coders translate the requirements and logic into a language that machines can understand whereas Programmers not only analyse and develop codes but also engage all the different parts of the system, so it performs in the intended way.
- Coding is the initial step of developing any software whereas Programming involves different types of complex scenarios to ensure the proper implementation of the product.
- Coders only translate the requirement logic into a machine understandable code without worrying about the details whereas Programmers analyse and visualise different aspects of the program and create solutions to problems that may occur. The Programmers scope is much wider than the Coders’.
- Coding can be defined as a part of Programming approach whereas Programming can be defined as a superset of Coding.
- Coding requires less expertise than Programming.
Coding and Programming are both parts of transforming your idea into a viable commercial product, each has a different purpose and often different people with different skills will be required to execute the strategy. Having a working understanding of who does what will help you keep your project under control.